in my quest to be a better, healthier me, i decided to try something i've been hearing a lot about:
here is what the label boasts:
- 650mg of potassium (more than a banana!)
- 65mg of calcium
- 23mg of magnesium
- no preservatives & no added sugar
- fat, cholesterol, and gluten free
- naturally contains essential electrolytes
according to this healthmad.com article, there are a lot of added benefits of coconut water:
- coconut water hydrates the body
- it relieves urinary problems
- it kills intestinal worms (which is always a good thing)
- it can break up kidney stones when consumed in conjunction with medication
- it's used in blood transfusions because it is almost identical to blood plasma (if that doesn't make it sound appetizing, i don't know what does!)
- it's an antibacterial
- it controls vomiting and can cure a hangover
to be honest with you all, it's not the best tasting drink i've ever had. it's a little bit nutty, but other than that i can't really detect a certain taste. it's watery in texture and looks a little cloudy. because it's obviously an acquired taste, i don't know if this is going to become a regular part of my dietary routine, but i might pick up 1 or 2 whenever i happen to be at the grocery store. i bought it at von's, so you don't have to go to some fancy-schmancy health food store to find it. however, it was $1.99 for the 11.2 ounce box thing, so it is pricey.
let me know if you love coconut water, or if you've discovered ways to make it tastier!
until next time..